Sympathetic Stupid

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

It's More Than Alright

Can I just say, I'm not sure about the album Ground Components - An Eye for a Brow, A Tooth for a Pick; I've only been all the way through twice and it strikes me as schizophrenic and hard to grab onto.

But the 10:39 long cover of Dylan's It's Alright Ma, (I'm Only Bleeding) which closes the album is scorching. I don't remember the original with any clarity but this stands up all on its own. The vocal delivery is more hipster than Dylan but we get his passion all the same. The raw guitar is understated so doesn't dominate. The bass line rocks the house. Tempo and instrumentation changes keep it rolling, culminating in the band heading off in four different directions, before dropping into a fervent vocal break.

Here it is:

[MP3 - 14.1MB] Ground Components - It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)

[record available in stores only]
Ground Components website, myspace, at Shock