Sympathetic Stupid

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Queens Of The Stone Age: Songs For The Deaf

See, previously I thought I didn't really like Queens Of The Stone Age (QOTSA, I guess). But then this album popped up in JB for like $13, so why not give them a go? Lots of cool people like them, and I'm cool, so therefore I must like them. Right?

Now I officially, from a position of knowledge, don't like them.

I mean, the album isn't bad as such. I don't like the (fake) radio bits, but that's not a killer; I liked Stay Human by Spearhead despite the silly fake storyline running through it. The music is decent, nothing really special, just straight down the line heavy rock. But not heavy or melodic enough to be interesting. Maybe the production is too slick. I hate the vocal style, the sort of drony, I'm-too-stoned-to-emote schtick. And the lyrics themselves are trite, and there aren't enough of them. I don't mind an instrumental, but don't just repeat the same phrase over and over again.

So at least I got something for my 13 bucks; I'm now not pissed off that I missed the gig.