Sympathetic Stupid

Saturday, August 20, 2005

Lucinda Williams: Car Wheels On A Gravel Road

When a relationship breakup is beating you into the ground, what could be better than to listen to music that depresses you more?

I think it helps, actually. Knowing that someone else has been through this and eloquently expressed the pain seems to validate the feelings and make them seem normal. And you know you'll get over it, sooner or later, because they did.

As far as wallow-in-breakup albums go, Car Wheels On A Gravel Road is about as good as it gets. I'm sure there's some melancholy Lucinda Williams background behind this, but honestly it doesn't matter either way. The music captures my feelings, that's all that matters.

Two tracks. The first is Can't Let Go, for the lyrics:

'Told you baby, one more time,
Don't make me sit all alone and cry,
Well it's over, I know it but I can't let go'

But the music belies that sentiment. Uptempo, it feels more defiant than sad; perfect for those up days where you can see the feelings from the outside.

The second is Metal Firecracker. Lucinda remembers the good times; the relationship flashes before her eyes. And then the chorus:

'All I ask,
Don't tell anybody the secrets,
I told you.'

That's it, in a nutshell. The hardest thing. The connection is broken, but those close-held confidences and heartfelt assurances remain, a lonely thread stretching between long after you've parted.

One more. Still I Long For Your Kiss.

'I know I shouldn't, but I want you so bad,
I know it couldn't be, but I want what we had,
I know our love is gone and I can't bring it back,
Still I long for your kiss.'

Oh yeah. I'm rational to a fault, but where does logic come in? That's for the head, not for the heart. Not so easy.

Thanks, Lucinda.