Sympathetic Stupid

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Kung Fu Hustle

Saw Kung Fu Hustle. I don't know the genre inside out, but it was talked up as 'the best kung fu movie ever'. (Haven't even seen Shaolin Soccer, how bad is that?)

I liked two points especially. One was the knife-throwing scene. Hi-larious. It had me in stitches. 'Hey, who threw this handle at me?' I love a bit of stupid slapstick.

The other was the love interest, Huang Shengyi, who is out-of-this-world beautiful. Gratuitous proof:



I just wish I could pronounce her name correctly. Damn Occidental mouth.

Anyway. What was I saying?

Oh, the movie, right. Yeah, lots and lots of over-the-top violence. Some pretty cool moves involving breaking the scenery. Quite a lot of humour. Cinema full of school kids (what's with Nova on a Monday night, last week was the same?). Not a heap of plot or character, but I preferred it to, say, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon precisely because this didn't take itself too seriously.

Oh yeah, the other good part was the musician/assassins, they made their fight scenes interesting. There's only so much you can do with a martial arts fight scene, I guess. I'm sure Yuen Wo-Ping is a genius, but my eyes sort of glaze over when the hero fights innumerable bad guys. Again.