Sympathetic Stupid

Sunday, August 07, 2005

Bit By Bats, Damn Arms, The Pharaohs @ Ding Dong

In terms of merit, this bill was upside down.

I loved The Pharaohs, who from the bottom of the bill played a magnificent, hard-rocking set. The highlight was probably the sound; Ding Dong has an impressive audio system and the engineering was such that the music never got lost in a sea of distortion. Being a three piece helps this, I guess. Definitely chase them up. Damn Arms have a solid reputation, and they lived up to it, playing some big bouncy rock-dance tunes.

Bit By Bats were headlining, so they got the slot when people are actually starting to arrive. At this point I start to get the feeling that most of the crowd is far more coked out than me. And everything's kinda falling apart at the edges anyway as I haven't managed to drag myself fully awake from a late-afternoon nap. I'm ambivalent about Bit By Bats and they didn't change my mind last night. Yeah, they certainly do lively post-punk, and yeah, it's competently done. But it continues to go straight over my head. Maybe next time.